Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Proposal

So, I have had some requests to hear about our proposal story. To tell this I will start at the very beginning. I met Mike the day I got off the airport in Vanuatu- although I don't remember him! He was my first district leader. I thought he was good looking but I was a missionary and that was not allowed. One of the first times we even talked he said to me "you aren't fat or ugly so you must be weird and that's why you're not married and had to come on a mission"- that's not a direct quote but you get the idea! From that moment on I knew I did not like him at all!! We were on the same island for about 1.5 months and then I was transfered! I was so happy!! I didn't see him except one other time through out the rest of my mission and that was fine by me! We both forgot about each other I think.
When I got home there were a bunch of other RMs at the airport including Mike. We all talked for a bit and then we went home. I didn't get released for almost 2 days and Mike had called but said he'd talk to me once I was released. He came to my report that Sunday and we talked. I started to think he was really cute!! He was a lot nicer this time and I'm sure I was too! He left and on his way home called me and asked me to go on a date with him. We went to Temple square. I made Jen come with me because I was too nervous!! Mike kissed me that night and we started to date from there! Neither of us thought we would ever date each other!!

After about 2 months of dating I knew that I wanted to marry Mike and that it was a good thing!! When I told Mike this he got scared and didn't want to date me anymore....so to make it short...we dated off and on for another few months and it was terrible! I cried all the time and just wanted to be with Mike and only Mike. Mike was always stressed and annoyed with me. I gave Mike a deadline to either propose or dump me. That date was coming and Mike came up to dump me. I knew it and my family knew it and his family knew it. We went to sacrament meeting with my family and then left church to talk, like we always did. We were never allowed to go home by ourselves so we always went up to the temple and talked, so we did the same thing this time. I was preparing myself to get dumped and hoped it would come sooner than later so I could cry and feel sorry for myself and then get on with life. The moment was coming and we went to this bench where you can see clear into Idaho and the whole valley. Then the spirit had a different idea for us!! It was so incredibly strong and we both felt it and knew that each other was feeling it too! I wondered what Mike was going to do now. Being the man he is, he then swore (he said the D word) and said "what would you say if I asked you to marry me"? I said " is that what you are doing"? and he said yes and I said yes!! Six weeks later we were married!!

6 comments:

Brandi Schall said...

What a complicated beginning you guys had! Though I'm not one to talk ;)

Isn't it funny how HF has plans for us that sometimes we aren't ready or willing to accept. That's neat that you both could be so in tune and also so ready to do what was prompted for you to do. I think it's awesome!

Deb said...

I wanted to strangle both of them!

Melissa said...

I guess I never realized how unromantic it was!

The Eskelsens said...

yeah, it isn't the happiest of stories is it?
remember how I was there for your first date...yeah...boo.

Cal and Whit said...

I never knew it happened like that. Thanks for the story. It was fun to learn more about your proposal!

Anonymous said...

Too bad you hadn't met Edward yet.
He could have made Mike jealous and he wouldn't have had such a hard time making up his mind.
He he.

But seriously- I'm glad you guys are together and so happy!